Top Menu

Venison Tenderloin Recipe – Paleo Style

This is my first year cooking venison (thanks to Wesley), and so far, I couldn’t be more pleased.  We have had a delicious crock pot chili (with all the veggies, it was probably more of a stew than chili) and some fantastic venison, lamb and pork sausage. I’m starting to wonder if I really have deer meat, because I have not experienced any of the gaminess or toughness that makes some people cringe when you just mention eating deer.  As a matter of fact, the tenderloin pictured here was almost melt-in-your-mouth tender.

While searching for recipes, many had sugar and other non-Paleo ingredients.  But the one I settled on was perfectly Paleo.   My version is very similar to the original one other than the fact that our meat was from a White-tail, not a Red Deer.  I imagine there’s not much difference in taste, but that the loin of a Red Deer is much larger than that of a White-Tail.  Here’s my version below, and you can click on the title to go to the original recipe.

Marinated Loin Of Red White Tail Deer

1 lb loin

Marinade:
4 cloves garlic, minced (The original called for 1, but I like garlic.)
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp Dijon-style mustard (Doubled, I like mustard too.)
1 bay leaf, crushed
1 tsp. dried rosemary (Also doubled)
1/2 tsp. black pepper (Also doubled)

I actually made the marinade with the suggested quantities, but after a taste, made the above adjustments. In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients, excluding the loin, and mix well.

Place the loin in a rectangle baking dish, and pour on the marinade. Rotate the loin, making sure it is coated.  “Cover dish with plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.”  I went with overnight.

“Preheat oven to 450 degrees. To achieve an attractive, brown crust and to seal in the juices, sear or brown the meat over high heat for 3-4 minutes before roasting.”  I had some lamb fat, so I melted a spoon full in the cast-iron skillet, and browned the loin in that.

I almost got it too brown…

“As soon as it is browned, place the loin in the oven at 450 for 8 minutes. Take loin out of oven and cover let set 10 minutes.”  I set my timer and made sure that I did not cook the loin any longer (something I have done with meat more than once).  It will be rare, but in my research about how to cook deer tenderloins or roasts, most agree that overcooking is the biggest mistake, and I didn’t want to do that after seeing how much some people, pay charge for it.

”Cut into thin slices and arrange on serving platter.”

“Serves 4.”

But not when it is this good.

[related_posts_table heading="You might also like -" image="130" spacing="8" limit="5"]

11 Responses to Venison Tenderloin Recipe – Paleo Style

1. Richard December 10, 2010 at 4:16 am #

Looks delicious, Patty. Perfectly cooked!

2. Patty December 10, 2010 at 3:17 pm #

Thanks Richard!

3. Anonymous December 11, 2010 at 8:33 am #

That looks really good. My kids LOVE venison tenderloin. Luckily my father-in-law kills several deer a year and we usually get one. It very healthy and tasty meat.

4. cavewomancafe December 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm #

We adore venison! My husband has been a hunter for the last 15 years and most of the time we have a freezer full of elk and deer venison. It is not gamey for two reasons, 1) the way it was processed including hanging time before it is packaged up. 2)If the deer had a good year and wasn’t in the rut. Hubby got an elk this year that was both of those things so he decided to soak it in a light brine before processing it and it worked! Also cooking it right has a lot to do with it. You cooked that tenderloin perfectly! Good job!

5. Patty December 13, 2010 at 5:54 pm #

Thanks so much cavewomancafe and Anonymous. Game meat is very new to me, and I am so glad to hear from others with experience. Thanks for the info about gaminess. I guess the deer around here had a good year! Wow, you even process your own. I’m so impressed, and I want to be your neighbor. :-)

6. Heather Smith February 7, 2011 at 2:40 am #

Wow! I googled recipes for Paleo venison tenderloin recipes. I have several packs from a recent deer kill. So glad I found this. It turned out PERFECT and AMAZING! Love the blog, fellow Georgian here (Columbus). Saw your post about the meat. Have you checked out Country Gardens Farm & Nursery in Newnan? They have grass-fed beef, goat and pork as well as pastured poultry. That’s where I’ve been getting my meat when I’m out of venison.

7. Patty February 7, 2011 at 2:54 am #

I’m so glad to hear that Heather! I was afraid that it was just beginner’s luck or something. But it was wonderful. So now that you have confirmed that it’s a good recipe, I might pull another tenderloin out of the freezer! I have read about Country Gardens before, but for some reason, let them slip my mind. Wow, thanks again for sharing that. I will definitely check them out next time I need meat. Sure am glad you stopped by, neighbor. :-)

8. Tonya February 16, 2011 at 3:34 am #

I’m going to have to try this… but maybe with one of the backstraps. Ya’ll have some big deer! Our little hill country deer don’t have much tenderloin, they’re itty-bitty, and I think I only have one left. They go fast.

9. Patty February 17, 2011 at 5:24 pm #

Thant’s interesting Tonya…I didn’t realize that about the hill country deer being small. If you try the marinade, I hope you like it!

10. Heather Smith May 21, 2011 at 1:54 am #

Made this again tonight for my hubby as part of his “Welcome Home From Afghanistan” meal. That along with some kale sauteed with bacon and red wine vinegar and some fresh from the garden yellow squash fried in pastured butter. It was a big hit!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Almost back to normal… | following my nose - June 30, 2012

[...] freezer and getting back to some real Paleo-Primal cooking… goose…perhaps beef heart or venison back-strap? Oh, maybe that grass-fed standing rib [...]

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes